Are you needing details on how to wash a weighted blanket? Well this is your complete guide to proper care and maintenance.
Weighted blankets have gained immense popularity in recent years for good reason. They help promote relaxation, reduce anxiety, and improve sleep quality. However, to ensure you can get the most out of your blanket for a long time proper wash and care of your weighted blanket is essential. In this comprehensive guide, let’s walk you through the step-by-step process of washing a weighted blanket to keep it clean, fresh, and in optimal condition.
Table of Contents
Understanding Weighted Blankets
Weighted blankets are specially designed blankets that contain added weight, typically in the form of glass beads or plastic pellets, evenly distributed throughout the fabric. These blankets provide deep pressure stimulation, which can help calm the nervous system and provide a sense of security and comfort.
Types Of Weighted Blankets
Weighted blankets come in various materials, including cotton, fleece, bamboo, and more. Each material requires specific care instructions, so it’s essential to check the manufacturer’s guidelines before proceeding with washing. Following the recommended care instructions will ensure that your weighted blanket stays in good condition without compromising its effectiveness.
Preparing For The Washing Process
Before you start washing your weighted blanket, there are a few essential steps to follow:
- Check the Manufacturer’s Instructions: Carefully read and follow the care guidelines provided by the manufacturer. These instructions will provide specific guidance tailored to your particular weighted blanket.
- Determine the Blanket’s Weight and Size: Consider the weight and size of your blanket before washing. Some weighted blankets come with removable covers or inserts, which need to be detached and cleaned separately.
- Remove Any Detachable Covers or Inserts: If your weighted blanket has a removable cover or insert, remove them according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Store them separately for individual cleaning.
Now that you’re ready to wash your weighted blanket, let’s explore two popular washing methods: spot cleaning and hand washing.
Spot Cleaning Small Stains:
For minor stains or spills, spot cleaning can be a quick and effective solution. Here’s how to do it:
- Blot the stained area gently with a clean, damp cloth or sponge.
- Apply a small amount of mild detergent or stain remover specifically designed for delicate fabrics.
- Gently rub the stained area using circular motions.
- Rinse the area with clean water and blot it dry with a towel.
- Allow the spot-cleaned area to air dry completely before using the blanket again.
Hand Washing Method:
Hand washing is suitable for most weighted blankets. Follow these steps for a thorough and gentle cleaning:
- Fill a bathtub or large basin with lukewarm water. Ensure there’s enough water to submerge the blanket fully.
- Add a mild detergent specifically recommended for delicate fabrics. Avoid using bleach or harsh chemicals, as they may damage the blanket’s materials.
- Submerge the weighted blanket in the water and gently agitate it for a few minutes. Allow the detergent to penetrate the fibers and remove any dirt or odors.
- Drain the soapy water and refill the tub or basin with clean lukewarm water. Rinse the blanket thoroughly to remove all traces of detergent.
- Squeeze out excess water from the blanket gently. Avoid wringing or twisting, as this can damage the weighted elements inside.
- Lay the blanket flat on a clean, dry towel or hang it evenly on a clothesline. Allow it to air dry completely before using or storing it.
Machine Washing Method:
Some weighted blankets are machine-washable, but it’s crucial to check the manufacturer’s instructions to ensure compatibility. Here’s how to machine wash a weighted blanket:
- Check the manufacturer’s instructions to verify that your weighted blanket is suitable for machine washing.
- Use a large-capacity washing machine that can accommodate the size and weight of the blanket comfortably.
- Set the machine to a gentle cycle with cold or lukewarm water. Avoid using hot water, as it can damage the blanket’s materials.
- Add a mild detergent suitable for delicate fabrics. Measure the detergent according to the manufacturer’s instructions or based on your machine’s guidelines.
- Start the washing cycle and allow it to complete. If your machine has an additional rinse cycle, it’s recommended to run it to ensure all detergent is thoroughly rinsed out.
- Once the cycle is complete, remove the weighted blanket from the machine. Avoid wringing or twisting the blanket, as it may lead to damage.
- Dry the blanket by laying it flat on a clean, dry towel or by hanging it evenly on a clothesline. Make sure the blanket is evenly spread to facilitate proper drying.
Drying And Storage
Proper drying and storage are essential to maintain the integrity and effectiveness of your weighted blanket.
Air drying is the preferred method for drying a weighted blanket to prevent damage. Follow these steps for optimal results:
- Lay the weighted blanket flat on a clean, dry towel or a drying rack.
- Ensure proper ventilation in the drying area to expedite the drying process.
- Allow the blanket to air dry completely before using or storing it.
Tumble Drying (if applicable):
Some weighted blankets may be suitable for tumble drying. However, always refer to the manufacturer’s instructions to determine if this method is safe for your specific blanket. If allowed, follow these steps:
- Set the tumble dryer to a low heat or delicate cycle.
- Place the weighted blanket in the dryer, ensuring it has enough room to move freely.
- Add a couple of clean tennis balls or dryer balls to help fluff and distribute the weight evenly.
- Start the drying cycle and periodically check the blanket’s progress to avoid over-drying or overheating.
Folding And Storing The Blanket:
When your weighted blanket is clean and dry, it’s important to store it properly to preserve its quality:
- Neatly fold the blanket and place it in a breathable storage bag or container.
- Avoid tightly compressing the blanket, as it may affect its weighted distribution over time.
- Store the blanket in a cool, dry place away from direct sunlight and excessive humidity.
Troubleshooting And Tips
Here are a few additional tips to troubleshoot common issues and ensure proper care of your weighted blanket:
- Handling Stubborn Stains or Odors: For persistent stains or odors, consider using a fabric-safe stain remover or odor-neutralizing spray specifically designed for weighted blankets. Always test these products on a small, inconspicuous area before applying them to the entire blanket.
- Handling Damaged or Leaking Weighted Blankets: If you notice any damage to the blanket’s inner compartments or beads, refrain from using it until it’s repaired or replaced. Contact the manufacturer or a professional to assess the damage and provide appropriate solutions.
- General Care and Maintenance Tips: To keep your weighted blanket in optimal condition, avoid exposing it to excessive wear and tear. Use a duvet cover or removable cover to protect the blanket from direct contact with oils, lotions, or other substances that may soil or damage the fabric.
Properly washing and caring for your weighted blanket is crucial to maintain its cleanliness, effectiveness, and longevity. By following the guidelines outlined in this comprehensive guide, you can confidently ensure that your weighted blanket remains clean, fresh, and ready to provide you with the benefits of deep pressure stimulation for years to come.
Remember to always refer to the manufacturer’s instructions for specific care guidelines, as different materials and designs may have unique requirements. With the right approach, you can enjoy the comforting embrace of a clean and well-maintained weighted blanket for many nights of restful sleep and relaxation.
For more information on the benefits of weighted blankets, and explore the numerous advantages they offer in promoting better sleep and reducing anxiety.
As a weighted blanket enthusiast, you may have some common concerns about washing and caring for your beloved blanket. In this FAQ section, we address three frequently asked questions to alleviate any worries and help you make informed decisions.
Will washing my weighted blanket ruin it?
- Washing your weighted blanket following the appropriate guidelines should not ruin it. Most weighted blankets are designed to withstand gentle washing methods. By adhering to the manufacturer’s instructions and using suitable detergents and techniques, you can safely clean your blanket without compromising its quality or effectiveness. However, always ensure you check the care instructions specific to your weighted blanket, as different materials may have varying requirements.
Should I consider taking it to the dry cleaner?
- In most cases, it is not necessary to take your weighted blanket to the dry cleaner. The majority of weighted blankets can be effectively cleaned using hand washing or machine washing methods as described earlier in this guide. Dry cleaning may involve the use of chemicals or solvents that could potentially damage the weighted elements or the fabric. To maintain the longevity and integrity of your blanket, following the recommended washing techniques at home is typically the best approach.
Can I use a washing with an agitator to clean my weighted blanket?
- It is generally recommended to avoid washing machines with agitators when cleaning a weighted blanket. Agitators can be too harsh on the delicate fabric and internal weighted elements, potentially causing damage. Instead, opt for a large-capacity washing machine without an agitator, allowing the blanket to move freely during the wash cycle. Always consult the manufacturer’s instructions for your specific weighted blanket and choose a washing machine that aligns with their recommendations.
- Remember, proper care and maintenance, including washing, are essential for the longevity and functionality of your weighted blanket. By following the recommended washing techniques and using suitable detergents, you can keep your blanket clean, fresh, and ready to provide you with the calming benefits it offers.
I’ve been using a weighted blanket for a couple of years now and it’s improved my sleep immensely.